Friday, September 23, 2005

Paris and the Defence

For the past 25 hours I have been entirely released from the numerous academic commitments that have strangled and sapped my soul for the past 2 (and 18 of the last 19) years. Yesterday, at 10 a.m. GMT I began the defence of my thesis on the historical, political and intellectual determinants of Russian nationalism. It was supposed to last thirty minutes; instead, I was under the microscope for three times as long, defending my methodological choices and the focus of my examination from savage critiques. I was told that my paper did not focus on the idea of 'appartenance' or belonging to /membership in the nation (it was not meant to). That I did not touch upon the idea of race (I did, but minimized its importance). That the paper had nothing to do with the teaching from the program (guilty as charged), and that my analysis was too "Anglo-Saxon" (true again). I should have known better than to have a sociologist rather than that rare beast, the 'political scientist', as my thesis director.

I do admit that it was a very general paper and was written as such more for my own intellectual curiosity and personal edification than to be a focused work on a particular aspect of my topic. I also belatedly discovered that it was missing about thirty citations from my change from MLA format to footnotes. Anyway, it was a rough defence, but when I emerged, barely alive, from the unrelenting criticism of my methodology and myriad attacks on my choice of subject, I was awarded a 14 for my troubles, which is a mention bien, or Honors. Now the French grading system is pretty messed up. The maximum note possible is 20, though as the joke goes, on a good day God might get a 20. 19 is reserved for experts in the field when they are on a roll, 18 for vastly superior work from lesser mortals like PhD students and low level experts. 10 is passing and most students are happy with that; anything above 12 is considered very good. Anyway, this was good news since, after my disastrous time-management on my Politics of International Trade exam at LSE, my chances for honors there seem dim.

On the other hand, I turn 25 in 11 days and I am scared. turning 22 was pretty hard because, unlike all of the other previous years, nothing useful came from that transition: thus began the slippery slope towards receding hairlines, viagra, midlife crises, broken hips and senility. Now I'll officially be crossing the threshold to the (shudder) late twenties and it's sort of freaking me out. Anyway, I have to go watch Matlock. Peace.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

25. you are a baby. a baby!

-nearly thirty in san francisco

20:39  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jason

As Ixxx's father I receive Wxxx's Bulletin and on pages 49-50 of the spring issue, I could not help reading your report.
There I have seen how you are filling out applications for graduate study, as you are on track to graduate this May with degrees in economics and philosophy. Bravo! Let me though recapitulate a little bit. I recall how I met you just over three years ago in Williston as
one of Ixxx's most influential friends and exchanged a few words with you about your academic plans. Ixxx was very fond of you and looked up to you as someone who was smart, had experience and was a bit cynic about life and family. Not hard to imagine how Ixxx felt encouraged to measure up by declaring that he too had a tough family history. After all, he needed to fit in rather quickly into this country and into his new found friends, cheesy accent and all.

A few months later, this high honors student joined the freshman class at XXX and shared with you his thoughts about how wild partying in
college was his new freeedom and ultimate goal. I am sure a good friend like you should have told him "Hey don't take my words too seriously, man. Partying may be part of college life but getting an education is a serious matter."
I understand that maintaining a good tough image is a serious endeavour, as who wants to be considered a dorkie? Well, Jason, I guess that indeed nobody is perfect.

You have to be proud: You are in track for graduate school. Ixxx is a college dropout with no compass in life. So, Jason, do count Iker as one of your late accomplishments in life. Nothing like a good friend to convince a naive kid that, yes, partying is the goal (Don't we all do it?) However you failed to tell him that the "extra work (..) pays off". You were smart to know it, but, hey nobody is perfect.
After all, Ixxx was trying to measure up to his new image, that your savoir-aire helped permeate through him

So Jason, once again, Bravo! You have achieved so far quite an excellent track record!! I fact, it occurs to me that you may convey your good news to Ixxx himself. He will be very proud of you as his mentor.
His number is (xxx) xxx xxxc
Mikel X.

14:36  
Blogger Mister Fedward Hyde said...

Happy Birthday Julian Chanson!

16:55  
Blogger Det. John Kimble said...

Better recheck the calendar Fedz: my birthday is on Monday. Thanks for the sentiment though.

09:04  
Blogger Mister Fedward Hyde said...

shit that's bad luck, at least in italy. william fked it up too.

i had too much sushi for dinner (buffet, so unlimited and cheap skates attack). i left part of my soul in the toilet.

15:13  
Blogger gcallah said...

Jason, get over your fears -- you might age as beautifully as I have!

07:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home