The mood on the street
I was recently speaking to my esteemed colleague, the future Dr. Matthew Star Austin, Esq. about the terrorist bombing here in London, and he turned my attention to the FoxNews website, which was an eyeopener to say the least. Matt informed me that Murdoch's media mouthpiece was sensationalising the whole event, with massive photos of the burned out bus at Tavistock Square and large declarations of condemnation and revenge by Blair and G8 leaders.

This, I think, is one of the most potent denunciations of FoxNews imaginable

This, I think, is one of the most potent denunciations of FoxNews imaginable
It made me want to retch, but I have to say that to be honest, I'm actually a bit underwhelmed about the whole affair. As I was writing the first sentence, while it occurred to me to qualify the term 'terrorist bombing' with some word like 'horrific', I really couldn't be bothered. I have received a flood of emails and phone calls all day from concerned friends and family but I've not really had anything to say about the attacks, preferring instead to ask the callers how they were doing and how their day had been.
From my limited knowledge of medicine, I understand that people often experience a sort of post-traumatic shock which desensitises them to terrible events in their lives, but, limited though my medical comprehension may be, I cannot honestly give myself such a self-diagnosis. I was nowhere near the bombings (though had class still been in session, I might very well have been) and I didn't even know what was happening until hours after they occurred. No, I think a more accurate diagnosis would be that I am simply feeling blasé about the whole affair, a sentiment which, despite Fox's shrill cries to the contrary, I believe is shared by many other Britons here in the capitol with me.
Do not misunderstand me: I am appalled by the events and I am terribly sad for the families. I would like for the perpetrators of this crime to be brought to justice and for this whole protracted war on a means to an end to be over. I certainly have been affected by the events of the day, but from my experiences today I have witnessed a people who were calm, level-headed, well-organised, and who essentially handled the grim business they needed to conduct with the proverbial stiff upper-lip. The statement circulating on the internet claims that "the heroic mujahedeen carried out a blessed attack in London, and now Britain is burning with fear and terror, from north to south, east to west," but from what I can tell, people are more worried about getting from point a to point b than they are about being blown up by a suicide bomber. It's not just me being blasé about the whole affair: in the hundreds of people I have passed today, I can think of only one who seemed the least bit phased by what had occurred--a man on the bus who was resting his head on the seat in front of him--and he might have just been really tired or hung-over.
I've been thinking about this and I think that the people who carried out this attack probably chose the worst people to try to terrorise with bombs. First, the English don't openly display their emotions the way that Americans do, and this reserve, I believe, helps to keep themselves and the people around them level-headed. The strongest emotional statement I heard today came from David Davis, the eloquent Conservative Shadow Home Secretary, who calmly and coolly argued that respect for the dead, calm, and focused determination were going to make things right. I can't imagine the response had Bush made a statement like that in America, but I imagine the treatment he gets from the left would be recreated on a far greater scale by the armchair generals and jingoists that populate our fair land. Even the media coverage was understated: having lived here for a year now, I rarely use American news sources, but the difference between FoxNews or even CNN's coverage of the event was markedly different from that of the BBC or the Times of London. The boldfaced headlines and huge interactive picture galleries that filled the entire page on the American sites was countered by a sober graphic in the top left hand corner on both the Beeb and the Times pages. Check out the difference yourself if too much time hasn't passed...
Continuing on, the second reason is that, probably owing to the perpetually pissing precipitation here in Old Blighty, the English always end up looking at the bright side of things. I cannot count how many times I have heard, "Well, it could have been so much worse," or "I can't imagine how many people could have died considering what they did." A few minutes ago I heard the first hints of humor when a man wondered aloud to his companion "now how are we going to get to work tomorrow?" The closest thing to humor on 9/11/2001 was that everybody at the bar I went to thought that playing 'Rock the Casbah' was riotously amusing and politically apt. But the English that I witnessed today seemed really no different than they did before: laughing, flirting, chatting and other such carefree activities were just as much in evidence as yesterday. It's clear that the English talent for putting a brave face on things makes them particularly unsuitable as a target for terror bombing. I mean, come on, these were the people who went through the Blitz and then got up and kept fighting! On top of it all, they've had to deal with this kind of thing for decades with the IRA, which has only increased their readiness and, unfortunately, their experience with losses to terror groups. I don't think I have ever been so impressed with the English as I have been today, and I can't help but think that my own calm reflection about the bombings have been altered by living amongst this remarkable people for the past 11 months.
Postscriptum: Perhaps I have gone too far. Just a moment ago the sirens from emergency vehicles (a perfectly normal occurrence here in Hackney) rang outside the internet cafe, and a few worried heads turned and furtively looked out the window. Oh well, at least I'm not scared.

31 Comments:
Blimey, it's rare to spot a mistake on this page but...'Old Blimey'?! I think you mean Old Blighty my dear chap.
Main Entry: blimey
Part of Speech: interjection
Definition: an exclamation of surprise or shock; also written blimy; also called Cor blimey
Example: Blimey! It is cold outside!
Etymology: for`blind me'
Usage: slang
blighty
n : a slang term for England used by English troops serving abroad
Thanks, the change has been made.
I haven't actually heard the term being used here in England, but we Yanks seem to think that it's Old Blimey, probably thinking that the root of the word is the ephitet: 'limey.'
Point 1: It's glad that, all in all, you are ok.
Point 2: Concerns the following: "I would like for the perpetrators of this crime to be brought to justice. "
I myself would have different ideas on what to do to them. In fact, in my humble opinion, I think such should have been the main theme of your post (perchanc replacing the unnecessary punts at Fox News...)
How interesting. For Dr. Matthew "Uber Liberal" Austin, it is more revulting Fox News condemnation of these disgusting, despicable, detestable events than the event per se.
I wonder how far he is from claiming that "we brought it upon ourselves with our stance"...
He never made any statement to that effect, he just brought it to my attenton. I was the one who was sickened by the media coverage on FoxNews, especially in light of the dignified, non-hysterical media response in England.
I wonder how far you are from claiming "permissivist liberals are to blame for all international terrorist incidents."
I wasn't going to comment on this earlier, but now I'm too pissed to let it slide.
How dare you use an event like this to snipe from the sidelines to self-righteously try to score political points? Have you no decency? Can you not accept that other people may disagree as to the best means to eradicate terrorism--and that they might (gasp) even be right--without demonising them, without branding them as weak-kneed appeasers, collaborationists, or communists?
I know that your blog is essentially devoted to twisting anything that falls into the realm of your consciousness into an "anti-liberal" rant, but a bit of decorum is called for after a major attack. Even if you were unconditionally correct, what would thumbing your nose at people who were mistaken in their beliefs accomplish other than your own personal edification? Blustery bullshit might impress the shallow, braindead girls at the bars that you lecherously trawl every weekend, but it is wholly inappropriate in a time such as this. This schtick is tired, trying, and tasteless. You are free to use it to your heart's content on your site, but please keep such sentiments off of mine.
mister hyde, I wonder what you would do to them...would you congratulate their resourcefulness in managing to blow up London's buses and tubes with bombs made in a back street garage somewhere? - remember we use mega bombs manufactured under strict quality control in high tech arms factories to kill civilians when necessary
El Doctor, i believe it is
"filius Celticis meretricis!"
Isn't Celtic an adjective related to "of the whores", and thus should be taking its ending?
-Fedward "Comunistorum Destructor" Hyde
Well "anonymous", I sure wouldn't waste resources to assure that they're given a "fair and dignified" treatment given that classifying those beasts as "human beings" seems slightly hyperbolic to say the least.
How dare you use an event like this to snipe from the sidelines to self-righteously try to score political points? Have you no decency? Can you not accept that other people may disagree as to the best means to eradicate terrorism--and that they might (gasp) even be right--without demonising them, without branding them as weak-kneed appeasers, collaborationists, or communists?
When you've calmed down, I'd be very curious to hear on these "best means" to eradicate terrorism. Perhaps group therapy is what you guys have in mind?
then you belong to their crew
Maybe F.A. (Fundamentalist Anonymous)? Maybe we could all convert to Islam too (strictly radical though) and dress our women, yes, even those "braindead girls at the bars that ..[i] lecherously trawl every weekend" in burqas?
I'll be looking forward for Dr. Billbonico's fatwahs...
Ah Billium, hoc natura est insitum, ut quem timueris, hunc semper oderis.
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta quolibiti ! Tum podem extulit horridulum in extremis, filius di lascivium meretricitis.
Si tacuisses, philosophus manisses quod iam, da mihi sis crustum Etruscum cum omnibus in eo, plebeian.
Federico, would you please explain why treating prisoners with respect to certain standards of treatment is mutually exclusive to trying to combat terrorism?
The United States, especially now that it has invaded Iraq in the name of liberal values and human decency, can ill afford to renege on these principles in the name of expediency. It rings hollow in Iran, China, and wherever else we lecture them on the issue of human rights and democracy when we decide to run roughshod over these values when it suits our purpose.
We could avoid the hyperbole and name calling if you didn't see this as black and white, all or nothing.
I see this as a "black and white" issue because i'm sick and fucking tired that these goddman troglodytes, pervaded by hatred probably stemming from their own inadequacies, keep taking advantage of our "fairness" to fuck us in the ass, pardon the expression.
As columnist Magdi Allam and writer Oriana Fallaci have been arguing for long (most recently on an editorial of the WSJ, Ms Fallaci is NY now as a liberal/comrade judge in Italy is trying to sue her for "denigrating a religion" whereas, when some exponents of that religion toss the Crucifix outside of a window nothing happens): we either stop bending backwards to "be accomodative" or we trully risk succumbing.
And I cherish our Freedom, Values and Civilization way too much to allow that to happen idly. Even if it entails momentarily swerving to more practical and efficacious methods.
As I was loudly and rethorically asking yesterday: "How many more deaths will it take until we decite do unite and together crush this plague that is attempting to destroy us?"...
They don't deserve any fucking respect. They are already receiving a fuckin Leading Hotel treatment if compared to what they'd be receiving in Egypt.
As per the last (leaked) report on Time magazine...check it and see the treatment they get..considering what they would like to do to us...
Your frustrations are shared by me, as is the case with many others I would guess. But what does any of that have to do with stopping terrorist attacks?
oh dear mister hyde...are you very young by any chance? Never mind, perhaps you will grow up soon.
Hi Jay, Hi Bill. I liked your blog jason. A little heavy on the alliteration no? what what it... Murdoch's murderous media mouthpiece??? anyway, Pretty powerful piece overall. Bill are you still in Madison?
-zack
Anonymous, all us here are in awe with the depth of your argumentations.*
And then he/she has the cojones to go around preaching about maturity and "growing up"..poor hapless soul...
*This sentence is replete with sarcasm for those (hi Anonymous!) clearly lacking the grey-matter to figure it out..
ha! pastachio joe, you gotta read what you're posting to man!
hi bill! no longer in Chicago- San Francisco these days, I'll check out your blog!!!
zack
Zack. Are you the zack that gave me some valium while we watched Supertroopers in your apartment (if it's you) in Paris.
US Air Force lifts ban on visiting London By Simon Freeman, Times Online
US military chiefs today lifted a ban on Air Force personnel entering London amid mounting political pressure and accusations that the measure was handing victory to the terrorists.
Around 10,000 US servicemen and women based at two RAF stations in Suffolk were given the "battle staff directive" not to go within the M25 soon after the bombs brought London to a standstill on Thursday. Families of personnel were also encouraged to abide by the ban, in stark contrast to President Bush’s call for Americans to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with their British counterparts.
It remained in force until noon today when the USAF overturned the order - which applied to its staff at RAF Mildenhall and RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk - following fierce condemnation from politicians, tourist leaders, police and the American Embassy.
The directive, issued on Thursday, was considered by the US authorities to be the most effective measure to protect their troops.
But John Reid, the Defence Secretary, said today that the failure to overturn the ban earlier had been an "oversight". He said: "In the immediate aftermath of the bombing last week there was a bulletin issued to American servicemen saying 'Don't go into London.'
"That was perfectly understandable and lots of people were being advised the same thing. It was taken locally presumably on a temporary basis but it has never been rescinded. As I understand, it is now urgently being reviewed since this matter has been brought to people's attention.
He continued: "The Americans, from the President down, have been fully supportive and rather than taking people away from London have been more than willing to send people to London to assist us in everything we are doing."
A spokeswoman for the Greater London Authority called for people to return to London. "The mayor sent out a message when he got on the Tube today. People are getting back into London to work and visit."
Lesley Mair, from the Corporation of London, agreed: "We are urging people to try to get back into work and live as normal lives as possible. We must not let the terrorists beat us."
Bob Kiley, the London transport commissioner who is a US citizen, said that the directive had been in place too long. The former CIA agent said: "Maybe the instruction had some logic to it on Friday when it was given on Thursday, but inasmuch as that order is still in effect now, there’s a major or a colonel or a brigadier general whose future is very much at stake as we speak. Not smart."
Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair earlier said he was "disappointed" at the continued ban, and the Conservative defence spokesman Andrew Robathan said the order should have been rescinded immediately.
"It sends out all the wrong messages about London being a place to visit for tourism or whatever," he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme. "It sends out the message, contrary to everything we have been saying and George Bush has been saying, that the terrorists have, in fact, won to a certain extent because we are changing our plans because of them."
Paris, Supertroopers, Valium... Unfortunately no, that was not me. My life is far less interesting. I spend most of my time checking my 401K and going to bed at a decent hour. What the hell happened to me?
strange, the other zack also spent time talking about his 401ks while planning his retirement.
***
to all.
on a side note, while it TRULLY hurts me to agree with Hitlary Clinton and the Dems, Karl Fkin Rove should be fired pronto if it was he who ratted out a CIA man. (see guys? obviously i am a Moderate, not an extremist)
Ouch, Z:S taking a beating on the Whazzmaster.
Thanks Zack for sticking up for me for two posts. ;p
yeah yeah, you're lucky i stick up for you at all mr zeitgeist: schadenfreude. hey check out this cool link. amazing google maps technology. i use it to get accurate distance for running. zoom into any city... pretty cool:
http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/index.html
I'm sorry that the gently ironic title of this blog went over the collective Whazzmaster head.
Fedward,
Are you sexist or uninformed? Rove ratted out a CIA Woman: Valerie Plame.
Thought this might interest you:
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/
-z
Post a Comment
<< Home